East Yorkshire Accord
Several years ago the u3as of Beverley, Caves, Cottingham, Hessle and Swanland
formed the Accord network in order to share information, experience and ideas for their
Subsequently AWAKE (Anlaby, Willerby & Kirk Ella), Howden and District, Hornsea and District, Driffield & Wolds, Pocklington, and Holderness have been welcomed into the group.
Meetings are held at approximately 3 monthly intervals and are attended by 2 Committee members (usually the Chairperson or Secretary and one other) from each u3a.
There are some rules/guidelines to ensure the system operates fairly and is not abused. Individual u3as may vary the detail but are asked to honour the principles.
PROTOCOL FOR RECIPROCAL ARRANGEMENTS:
1. To avoid confusion and/or problems, it would be helpful to develop common practice so all know how the
system should work.
2. The system can apply to our Interest Groups, monthly/general/regular meetings, and other events.
3. For all interest groups – the leader has total discretion about whether their group can accommodate an increase in membership or has space for guest visitors on an occasional basis.
4. Members should always contact the leader of the group that they wish to attend – before attending. They should not just “drop in” on an ad hoc basis.
5. Leaders may wish to prioritise membership of their own u3a. This can be done by limiting external access until after a stated cut-off date or any other suitable system.
6. u3a Members may request access to interest groups of another u3a within EAST YORKSHIRE ACCORD on the understanding that this would not necessitate them paying the local/host u3a membership. They would be expected to pay the same interest group charges, or other fees that are paid by existing group members.
7. Members may request attendance at a group meeting as a “guest” (making any appropriate payments) but would be expected that they would become full members of the group and pay normal charges for that group.
8. All such members would be covered by the normal National u3a Insurance.
9. A member of any u3a is allowed to attend as a guest at a couple of the general meetings of another East RIDING Accord u3a (paying any normal meeting fee). Similarly, they may be present at their AGM but should not speak except by permission of the Chair. They are not allowed to vote. In all cases names, should be recorded in the register as guests. Please note that many of the venues within the EAST YORKSHIRE ACCORD area have limited space and therefore attendance at monthly meetings will be limited and attendance may be refused.
10. If space within the group/monthly meeting is limited and the applicant must be denied access, it is expected that this would be done with normal courtesy by both parties. The applicant may be added to any Waiting list operating for local members.
11. The system can be reviewed in the future to ensure that it is working well to everyone’s benefit and that any practical problems are minimised. This should be done at reasonable intervals especially if any problems or issues arise through the Open-Door Arrangements and should be dealt with by the host u3a.
12. It is hoped that these arrangements will offer increased opportunities to our members to join groups that may not be available locally: it might also help leaders to ensure that they have better numbers for events to cover costs and improve learning experience for all.